Friday 11 November 2011

Public Speaking: Perfected by Few and Feared by Most

 Retrieved November 4, 2011 from http://www.flickr.com/photos/anhonorablegerman/6301096616/                                           

              I suppose that it is not fair for me to call it a “fear”... it is more so an activity which I may go to great lengths to avoid. Module 4 of ALES204 consisted of looking at different aspects of giving speeches and tips to a successful public speaking experience. We practiced “Pecha Kucha”, analyzed the inauguration speech of Barak Obama and received tips to public speaking from Wendy Doughty. I agree with my fellow classmate SusanG that getting feedback from our peers in the lab helped to identify where our public speaking weaknesses are.  Now after all this I am not about to throw myself in front of a crowd to talk, but I may approach the next event which I need to speak publicly with less apprehension.
            Because I am pursuing a career in nutrition it is vital for me to improve my public speaking skills. I wish to bring awareness of nutritious eating and healthy lifestyles and at some point I will need to speak in front of a crowd to convey that message. I will need to know how to effectively present my nutrition knowledge to whichever audience I encounter; whether it be a classroom full of students learning about the food groups or presenting new information on nutrition research to a group of professionals. What good will my new knowledge be if I cannot effectively convey it?
               I learned a number of new things this week that I will carry with me the next time I speak to a crowd, or even go to an interview. First of all, confidence is essential to captivating an audience. When Barack Obama won the Presidential Election in 2008 he gave an incredible speech that individuals could relate to on a personal level. He spoke without hesitation or doubt, which gave his message integrity. An important thing Wendy Doughty mentioned in lecture was to avoid fidgeting, or tugging at your clothing. An audience will focus more on the meaning of your message if they aren’t distracted by other movement.
              Public speaking is a skill I wish to improve, but hate to practice. So for the next few years here at the UofA I will keep in mind Toastmasters International Tip #2 so I am prepared for any time the occasion arises that I must give a speech.
-K

PS. Wear Red

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I am really attracted by each of your title! They are brilliant! Also, I like your blog design, they colour that you choose is very comfortable to see. Furthermore, I can see you carefully organize each of your post. I like the picture you chose here so does this sentence "What good will my new knowledge be if I cannot effectively convey it? " Indeed, everything is like undone when you cannot deliver the message that you would love to share! Great post! I like this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you that after the presentations in class and lab regarding public speaking that I would still not be able to comfortably speak in front of a large group. I think in order to master public speaking and avoid all nervous habits it needs to be practiced day in and day out, and as a student this might be difficult. ALES204 however gave great tips that will forever be remembered when presenting or going for an interview, like you mentioned, wear red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Blog Kylie! Love the layout and all your posts :) I have to agree with this post on public speaking though. Public speaking is an everyday skill that you have to have, especially in Nutrition when your talking to people daily and presenting speeches on health and food choices. Practice does make perfect and with this in mind, your speech will improve each time. I find practicing tons of times before I present truly helps. It's more scary when you don't actually know what your talking about :S

    Best of luck in Nutrition!

    Angela Komarnicki

    ReplyDelete